Each day of the MLB season we will be releasing a “Morning Report” which will cover a variety of things.
- Spot-start Options
- Free Agent Adds
- Probable Starter Rankings
- Injury Report
- Weather Report
My spot-start/streaming recommendations are players who are under 50 percent owned in ESPN leagues. Today there aren’t any probable pitchers I feel strongly about picking up and inserting them into my lineup—especially since it’s the start of a new week and there’s no reason to destroy your ERA/WHIP on a Monday.
Prior to a disastrous outing from Ian Kennedy last Thursday, these spot-starts have been performing admirably. Kennedy’s nine earned runs against ballooned the overall ERA, but it was just the fourth time that one of these streaming options allowed more than three runs in 24 starts.
- Games Started: 24
- ERA: 3.44
- WHIP: 1.21
- K/9: 8.1
- BB/9: 2.9
- Wins: 7
- Quality Starts: 8
Free Agent Adds
Jack Flaherty (SP) — Cardinals — 12.9% Owned
I wrote about Flaherty earlier in the season and this is a great time to scoop up the young right-hander. Listed as the No.33 prospect in baseball, Flaherty was recalled for a third time this season and will start in Minnesota on Tuesday. Flaherty was brought up to take Carlos Martinez’s spot in the rotation after Martinez landed on the DL with a right lat strain. There’s no word on how long Martinez will be sidelined and that will ultimately determine how long Flaherty stays with the Cardinals, but it looks like it will be at least a couple of starts.
The 22-year-old has started two games with St. Louis this season, allowing just four earned runs on 10 hits, five walks and has struck out 11 in just 10.0 innings—that’s a 3.60 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and 9.9 K/9.
During his time in the minors, Flaherty has dazzled in five starts, posting a polished 2.27 ERA, 0.92 WHIP and ridiculous 41:7 K:BB ratio, which is good for a 11.8 K/9.
Dustin Fowler (OF) — Athletics — 5.3% Owned
Fowler is listed as the Athletics’ No.5 prospect and was promoted from Triple-A Nashville last week. Fowler was promoted following a .310/.333/.484 start while hitting three home runs, 16 RBIs and eight stolen bases. That start comes on the heels of a season in which he hit .293/.329/.542 with 13 home runs, 43 RBIs and 13 stolen bases.
Fowler has had a tough start in the majors, going 1-for-11 (.091) in his first four games, but if you’re in a deep-league/dynasty/keeper league, he is worth taking a flier on. It looks like he will get regular playing time in the immediate future and his high-end speed should translate in some counting stat success if he starts getting on-base like he did in Triple-A.
Probable Starters Rankings
- Carlos Carrasco(@ DET)
- Lance McCullers Jr.(@ LAA)
- Jose Quintana(vs. ATL)
- Joey Lucchesi(vs. COL)
- Julio Teheran(@ CHC)
- Patrick Corbin(vs. MIL)
- Rick Porcello(vs. OAK)
- Chris Stratton(vs. CIN)
- Sean Manaea(@ BOS)
- Junior Guerra(@ ARI)
- Tyler Anderson(@ SD)
- Andrew Heaney(vs. HOU)
- Ryan Yarbrough(@ KC)
- Sal Romano(@ SF)
- Mike Fiers(vs. CLE)
- Eric Skoglund(vs. TB)
- Wade LeBlanc(@ MIN)
- Jake Odorizzi(vs. SEA)
- Madison Bumgarner (hand) is expected to throw off of a mound on Monday.
- Robinson Cano will likely need surgery to repair a fractured fifth metacarpal in his right hand.
- Josh Harrison (hand) will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona on Monday.
- Yoan Moncada (hamstring) is expected to return to the White Sox lineup on Tuesday.
- Adrian Beltre is likely headed to the DL after re-aggravating his left hamstring injury.
- Keynan Middleton left Sunday’s game with right elbow discomfort; will undergo an MRI on Monday.
No Weather Impact Expected
- KC vs. TB (7:05pm) — 🌤 Partly Cloudy
- BOS vs. OAK (7:10pm) — 🌤 Partly Cloudy
- ARI vs. MIL (9:40pm) — 🏟 Dome
- LAA vs. HOU (10:07pm) — ☀️ Clear
- SD vs. COL (10:10pm) — ☀️ Clear
- SF vs. CIN (10:15pm) — ☀️ Clear
Possible Weather Impact Expected
- CHC vs. ATL (2:20pm) — 🌧 Chance of Rain (34%)
- MIN vs. SEA (7:10pm) — 🌧 Chance of Rain (20-50%)
- DET vs. CLE (7:10pm) — 🌧 Chance of Rain (43-65%)