Each day of the MLB season we will be releasing a “Morning Report” which will cover a variety of things.
- Spot-start Options
- Free Agent Adds
- Injury Report
- Weather Report
Caleb Smith (vs. LAD) | 39.5% Owned
Smith has had a really good season to this point and he’s been nothing short of brilliant in his last four outings. Smith has allowed just four earned runs on 14 hits and four walks while striking out 31 batters in 24.0 innings—1.50 ERA, 0.75 WHIP, 11.63 K/9 and 7.75 K/BB ratio.
Smith hasn’t tossed quite enough innings to be a qualified starter, but his 3.60 xFIP would be good for 29th in the MLB and his 12.09 K/9 is the fourth best rate.
Tonight he will face the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have lost the first two games of the series in Miami and have lost six consecutive games overall. The Dodgers just got their offensive heartbeat (Justin Turner) back but it hasn’t made a big difference yet—overall the Dodgers are tied for 17th in wRC+ (95) and 21st in OPS (.705). Smith should be able to keep rolling today and it helps that he is pitching in the most pitcher-friendly park in the majors so far this season.
Marco Gonzales (vs. DET) | 6.5% Owned
For the second straight game, Gonzales will take the mound against the Detroit Tigers. He was hit hard in Detroit last Saturday and his last two starts haven’t produced very good results. Despite a 5.31 ERA, Gonzales has an xFIP of 3.08, which would qualify as the 14th best in the majors, ahead of Corey Kluber—so there should be some better days ahead for the Mariners’ left-hander.
Additionally he will a Tigers team without four of their regular starters—Miguel Cabrera, Jeimer Candelario, Leonys Martin and JaCoby Jones. The Tigers rolled out a lineup littered with Toledo Mud Hens yesterday and they were only able to muster five hits while striking out 13 times against the Indians. They then had to fly across the country to the 10th most pitcher-friendly park, so Gonzales should be in for a strong showing tonight.
Free Agent Adds
Alex Reyes (SP) — Cardinals — 26.2% Owned
Reyes, who is listed as the No.17 prospect in baseball, underwent Tommy John surgery last February and is nearing a return to the majors. The 23-year-old made his second rehab appearance on Monday and he was brilliant. Reyes threw 51 of 80 pitchers for strikes, allowing just one hit, two walks and striking out a ridiculous 12 batters in just 5.0 innings. Reyes also touched 100mph with his fastball on multiple occasions and blew away Single-A hitters.
Reyes is expected to make a couple more rehab starts before re-joining the Cardinals rotation. Once he does, Reyes has the talent to be a high-end Fantasy starter, so stash him now while you can and reap the benefits later.
Probable Starters Rankings
- Marco Gonzales (vs. DET)
- Kenta Maeda (@ MIA)
- Tyler Skaggs (vs. TB)
- Cole Hamels (vs. CWS)
- Luke Weaver (vs. PHI)
- Chad Kuhl (vs. SD)
- Chris Archer (@ LAA)
- Jeff Samardzija (vs. COL)
- Caleb Smith (vs. LAD)
- David Price (vs. BAL)
- Jon Lester (@ ATL)
- Mike Soroka (vs. CHC)
- Kevin Gausman (@ BOS)
- Eric Lauer (@ PIT)
- Vince Velasquez (@ STL)
- Matt Boyd (@ SEA)
- Chad Bettis (@ SF)
- Andrew Triggs (@ TOR)
- James Shields (vs. TEX)
- Aaron Sanchez (vs. OAK)
- Madison Bumgarner (hand) will begin a minor league rehab assignment on May 26th.
- Stephen Vogt will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery this week.
- Nelson Cruz is expected to be out of the lineup for the next few days after being hit by a pitch on Tuesday.
- The Cardinals have placed Luke Gregerson (shoulder) on the 10-day DL.
- The Mets have placed Yoenis Cespedes on the 10-day DL with a strained hip flexor.
- The Rays placed Carlos Gomez on the 10-day DL with groin strain.
- Matt Duffy (hamstring) plans to return to the Rays lineup on Friday.
- Jason Castro underwent season-ending knee surgery on Wednesday.
- The Diamondbacks say there is a “possibility” that Jake Lamb (shoulder) will return this weekend.
- JaCoby Jones left Wednesday’s game with a sore hip; will be re-evaluated on Thursday.
- David Wright will be examined by doctors within the next two weeks and hopes to be cleared to resume baseball activities.
- Dansby Swanson (wrist) will begin a rehab assignment with Single-A Rome on Thursday.
No Weather Impact Expected
- MIA vs. LAD (12:10pm) —🏟 Dome
- PIT vs. SD (7:05pm) — 🌤 Partly Cloudy
- TOR vs. OAK (7:07pm) — 🏟 Dome
- BOS vs. BAL (7:10pm) — ⛅️ Mostly Cloudy
- STL vs. PHI (7:15pm) —⛅️ Mostly Cloudy
- CWS vs. TEX (8:10pm) —🌤 Partly Cloudy
- LAA vs. TB (10:07pm) — ☀️ Clear
- SEA vs. DET (10:10pm) — 🏟 Dome
- SF vs. COL (10:15pm) — ☀️ Clear
Possible Weather Impact Expected
- ATL vs. CHC (7:35pm) — ⛈ Chance of Thunderstorm (45-50%)